"*" indicates required fields
Assessment and psychological evaluations for :
- Religious Life – candidates and final vows
- Permanent Diaconate
Comprehensive evaluations of ministry difficulties
Cognitive and emotional screening regarding issues of aging
Incardination and return to ministry psychological evaluations
The Saint John Vianney Outpatient Department provides high quality psychological and spiritually integrated therapy and counseling services for clergy, men and women religious, and permanent deacons and their spouses.
Typical issues often include:
- Issues related to personal effectiveness (e.g., anxiety, depression)
- Behavioral challenges (eg., substance abuse, gambling, boundary/sexual struggles)
- Interpersonal effectiveness (e.g. anger management, isolation)
- Spiritual issues (e.g., relationship with God, vocational discernment)
For married permanent deacons and married clergy:
- Behavioral and mental health issues within the marriage (e.g. marital stressors, spousal distress)
- Within the family (e.g. conflicts related to child rearing, child developmental concerns).
Types of Professional Services provided include:
- Individual Psychotherapy and Counseling
- Pastoral Counseling and Spiritual Direction
- Drug and Alcohol Counseling
- Anger and Stress Management
- Marital Therapy and Counseling
- Family Therapy and Counseling
- Grief and Trauma Response
For more information or to make an appt call 610.518.2048
Spiritual Direction through Saint John Vianney’s Outpatient Department offers an opportunity to share with another how God is present in and through our prayer and everyday life experiences. Overall, the purpose of direction is to help individuals grow in a personal relationship with God. Spiritual direction can assist an individual to:
- Listen more attentively to God’s voice
- Increase awareness of God’s love and presence
- Find clarity in decision making
- Cope better with the difficulties in life
- Share more deeply in God’s peace
- Move through forgiving self/others
- Express love through service to others
Saint John Vianney Center Outpatient Providers
Our professional staff of psychologists, licensed or certified professional counselors, and psychiatrists are grounded in Catholic anthropology and sensitive to the issues faced by Clergy and Religious as well as the institutional needs of the Church. Our Spiritual Directors are certified in the field of Spiritual Direction.
Karen Cote, IHM, Psy.D.
Patricia Donoghue, Ph.D.
Eric Haas, Psy.D.
Bernadette Hayburn, Psy.D
Ronald Karney, Ph.D.
Mary Lindsay, SSJ, Ph.D.
Mercedes McCann, RSM, Ph.D.
Anthony Pisa, Ph.D.
Judith Smith, RSM, Psy.D.
Sarah Vaghari, Psy.D.
Sr. Koreen Cote, MA
Deacon Dan Giblin, CRS
Erik Ranstrom, Ph.D.
Sr. Anne David Strohminger, OSF, MA
Saint John Vianney Center’s campus in Downingtown, Pennsylvania includes the residential facility, administrative offices, as well as the outpatient offices.
Outpatient services are provided at the campus of Saint John Vianney Center and via telehealth (depending on the state and services). Please call to discuss details.
- On-site testing rooms
- Access to meals and rest rooms
- Home like setting with comfortable sitting and reading areas
- Individual offices for therapy, counseling, testing and evaluations.
- Nearby local stores and restaurants
- Easy access to major highways, nearby train stations, and several airports