Saint John Vianney Center Our History

Founded in 1946, the Saint John Vianney Center (SJVC) is the longest running, internationally renowned, behavioral health facility in North America for Clergy and Religious. The Archdiocese of Philadelphia purchased the McIlvaine Estate in Downingtown, Pennsylvania. The main stone building was converted from a family home to a residential treatment facility. The program was placed under the patronage of Saint John Vianney, the patron Saint of parish priests. Vianney, the “Curé d’Ars,” was a famous confessor in France known for his extraordinary devotion to the Sacrament of Reconciliation and was an unusually humble and forgiving priest. It was following in his footsteps that led to the humble beginnings of the Center.

With our mission to shepherd our brothers and sisters in Church ministry through life’s journey and difficulties, our goal is to restore ones physical, behavioral and spiritual well-being to return to ministry. SJVC provides the highest quality of care and professional programs and services to Clergy and Religious including comprehensive assessments and evaluations, treatment for behavioral health issues, and addictive disease and compulsive behaviors, 24/7 nursing supervision, outpatient services, continuing care, and consultation services, as well as educational programs to help dioceses and religious communities get and stay healthy in mind, body and spirit.

The Saint John Vianney Center is not only responsive to the current and evolving needs of the Church, we are focusing on prevention and advancing the health and wellness of Catholic Clergy, Consecrated Men and Women Religious, and Clergy of major Christian denominations worldwide.

Mcilvaine Estate
Menu